A Glimpse of Mauritius
Mauritius Financial Centre in figures
- Population – 1.3 million
- Languages – English, French, Creole and Asian languages
- Exclusive Economic Zone – 2.3 million km2
- GDP Per Capita, PPP – USD 21,640 (2017)
- Real GDP Growth Rate – 3.8% (2018)
- Foreign Direct Investments – USD 431 million (2018)
- Value of trade between Mauritius and African countries – USD 994 million
Since gaining its independence in 1968, Mauritius has went through a remarkable transformation. Previously active in the monoculture of sugarcane, today it prides itself in having a strong and diversified economy. Success and development have paved their way thanks to some key fundamentals, which are the economic democratization, inclusive growth, development of human capital and social mobility.
Mauritius is also a member part of international organisations, namely the African Union, the Southern African Development Community (SADC) and the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA).